Blackwell Island RV Resort
1 mile from beautiful downtown Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Located on the Water!
About Us

Independently owned and operated, by the Hall family since 1998, we offer RV'ers a comfortable, enjoyable, and restful stay. The beautifully appointed rv location of Blackwell Island was built by the Hall's to become the most desired RV travel destination of the inland Northwest. We are proud of our high ratings from Trailerlife, Big Rigs Best Bets and Woodall's.



History of Blackwell Island.
Native American's used this site extensively during the spring summer and fall. The great location to the Rathdrum prairie and the Spokane river made it a prime location for food. Many arrowheads have been gathered on the property. Pictures of Tepee's located on the island were taken by the Army in the 1890's. The area on the bottom left of the picture is Blackwell Island.

The Coeur d'Alene Indian's were first noticed by the American explorers, Lewis and Clark, in 1805, the Coeur d'Alêne were a wandering people, dwelling in mat-covered communal houses on the border of the lake, and subsisting chiefly upon fish and wild roots. Blackwell Island was one of these places.

French traders allegedly named the local Indian tribe the Coeur d'Alene out of respect for their tough trading practices. Translated from French Coeur d'Alene literally means "heart of the awl" which might mean "sharp-hearted" or "shrewd." Another possibility is that it is a corruption of Coeur de Leon, or Lion Heart. Others interpret "Heart of the Awl" to translate to "Eye of the Needle", perhaps referring to the narrow passage through which the lake empties into the Spokane River on its way to the Columbia. When General William Tecumseh Sherman ordered a fort constructed on the lake in the 1870s he gave it the name Fort Coeur d'Alene; hence the name of the city that grew around it. The name of the fort was later changed to Fort Sherman to honor the general. Blackwell Island was used as a natural corral for the horses that belonged to the army.

The island was named after Frederick Albert Blackwell one of the most powerful men in the Inland Empire in the early 1900's. He acquired the Coeur d'Alene mill and it was renamed Blackwell Mill along with the Island in 1909. The land is thought to have been leased from the government at this point.

The City of Coeur d'Alene acquired Blackwell Island from the army. In a much different time the city decided to use the island as a garbage dump. Most of what the RV park sits on has 6 to 12 feet of garbage. The dump operated from about 1955 to 1966. The operation used large dozers to push the garbage into cells. The cells were doused with diesel fuel and set on fire. Most of what is in the ground is metal, glass and a few early plastics.
 
As the city developed and recreation grew a group of about ten purchased the land for the purpose of a yacht club. The group got things going on the island but ran out of money and energy in the late 60's. James Emory Hall consolidated the ownership of the Island in 1968. The main use of the island for the next 30 years was the yacht club and, a local landmark, The Cedars Floating Restaurant.

The son of J.E. Hall, Mark Emory Hall developed the plans to build the RV park on the island in 1994. Blackwell Island RV Resort was the first property west of the Spokane river to be annexed into the city of Coeur d'Alene. 3 years were spent on this process making it the longest annexation in Coeur d'Alene history. It is currently operated by Mark, Anne, and their son Matthew Hall.

stay@idhaorvpark.com

Website Builder